Home  >  Truck Accident  >  FMCSA calls for more police training in response to truck accident fatalities

FMCSA calls for more police training in response to truck accident fatalities

In a webinar produced in association with U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx’s program, Mayor’s Challenge for Safer People and Safer Streets, and released on Wednesday, November 18, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has issued a call to action that would instate more training for police officers regarding the conducting of routine or emergency traffic stops of large trucks and buses. The announcement comes in response to findings from the Administration’s latest collision fatalities study, which indicate that these large vehicles are overly represented in deadly accidents.

The primary takeaway in the study – which includes the latest available data up to 2013 – is that these large vehicles “accounted for about 4% of registered vehicles and 9% of total miles driven, but were involved in 13% of accidents and 13% of overall traffic fatalities,” according to the administration’s data.

FMCSA chief safety officer Jack Van Steenburg said officials must “pay attention to this detail” and make a concerted effort to mitigate these deadly accidents through more efficient and effective training practices.